Monday, June 28, 2010

baby steps


all the kids

the whole travel group


Shamian Island

We are still making progress with Jenna. Though it seems to be baby steps, at least I am seeing some progress. She is kind of moody though. Not sure if that's just normal for the transition or what, but she often goes to sleep one way and wakes up completely different. Today has been a challenge. She seems to have taken a step or two backwards this afternoon after we had a really great day yesterday. ??? At least I have the glimpses I do that let me know she will come around eventually.
Her TB test was negative, praise God. She did have a reaction at the site; it looks like a mosquito bite, but they measured it and apparently it was within the ok range, because she passed as a negative result.
The last couple days have been spent with the group doing touring and shopping. We visited the jade market and a huge wholesale market shopping area. Last night we had a whole group dinner at a Thai restaurant. Not my favorite, but the company was great. Today we were supposed to visit a botanical garden but the group voted against it because of the rain. Have I mentioned it has rained here every day? And not just a quick shower, but lingering, persistent rain. The good side of that is that while the humidity is ridiculous, it could be a whole lot hotter if not for the rain.
I am getting very anxious to go home. I enjoy it here, but I am ready for home. I miss my family and my bed and pillow. Although, it is pretty nice having someone come grab my laundry and bring it back clean, pressed and folded. worth every penny. ;)
And we've really enjoyed hanging out with a couple specific families a lot, I am just ready to get on with things and back to our crazy normal. Hotel living is definitely not normal.

Tomorrow is our last full day here!
We are leaving on the train for Hong Kong on Wednesday afternoon and spending the night at a hotel there before flying home on Thursday.

Thanks for following our journey.
Love from China.

Photobucket

11 comments:

Robyn said...

I am loving following along. This brings back such memories! I so remember just wanting to get home to start our new normal. It will be so soon now. It is fun to see her more and more relaxed with you everyday.
God is good.

We're still praying!

Ashley said...

I think it is great you have a travel group. They will always be very special friends to you and especially Jenna.
It is baby steps, but it will progress. Sending love and hugs!
Blessings!
Ashley

Chris said...

Baby steps are important steps...sounds like things are going pretty well!!

I see that there is still construction on the island....ugh!

Enjoy your last day tomorrow!
:)

Molly Rechkemmer said...

thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I love how you've been so real. I could feel your heart in every post.You've been so inspiring! God bless you and your new family!

Unknown said...

I've really enjoyed following your trip! Can't wait to see the pictures of your family united!
Kelly

jennifer said...

You're almost there! She looks amazing and her smiles are wonderful!! Hang in there!! She will start shedding all those layers very soon!

Carla said...

What a great group to be in!!! We had a group of 7 families, and Sarah was the oldest by about 5 months...at 2.5!!! Very surreal to be in a group with 4 little babies and 2 "newly turned 2 year olds" for sure.

UmonhonWau said...

What an absolutely beautiful blog! You are so blessed! I know you must be exhausted. I can't wait to see you guys upon our returna nd hopefully at State! Jason has been so wonderful to Darius! He has improved leaps and bounds in baseball this year. You have such an inspirational family! Keep up the good work!

jilln said...

Praying you through! I know that the rest of your family must be so anxious to see you! Have a blessed reunion and talk to you soon.

jilln said...

Praying you through! I know that the rest of your family must be so anxious to see you! Have a blessed reunion and talk to you soon.

The Byrd's Nest said...

I remember after we got home from China with Lottie that slowly and very slowly we started seeing her personality unfold. It is so traumatic for these little ones.....I know you are anxious to get to know her better and make her feel comfortable....she is probably wondering what "home" is too:) Praying for you all!
P.S. I am a friend of Sara's :)