Wednesday, January 7, 2009

a new adventure

Last weekend we took the kids to try some new outdoor sports.
Jason and the boys tried snowboarding, and Abby tried skiing. Now, I must say, I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought the boys would probably have a good time. I thought Jason would fall alot, which he did, and I thought Abby may chicken out or melt down after the first fall.
My brother (who's an instructor) met us and buddied up with Abby while Jason and the boys took a lesson together.
Well, the boys did have a lot of fun. Ben was very determined to get this down. He would've stayed as long as we'd have let him. He really did very well considering it was his first time, and he was certainly persistant! Matthew had fun too, but thought maybe next time he'd try skiing. And it could have had something to do with the fact that Abby was seemingly a natural! She was such a trooper!
Uncle Todd told her a couple of instructions, like make a slice of pizza to stop, and french fries to go. At the end of the day, the group of them were standing at the top of the hill, and Todd was helping his son Jake with something on his own skiis. Well, Abby just took off right down the hill. There was a bit of alarm at first. (probably a good thing that I heard this second hand later, as I was in the lodge with Emily!) Todd yelled "Abby, pizza. make the pizza." She just kept right on zooming down. Til the bottom where she just popped her little skiis into her pizza slice and stopped. When the rest of them made it down to her, they asked her if she meant to go down or what happenend.? She replied, "yep, I wanted to go fast!" I can't tell you how shocked I was by this! But so proud of her!
We were so excited to have found something that our entire family can do together for a long long time to come. well, as soon as Emily can walk! But I think next time, she'll stay with Grandma so I can have fun too!



3 comments:

Prachar family said...

Low center of gravity...that's the key!! Looks like so much fun! My kids are DYING to do something like that!!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Abby cracks me up!! She is such an adventurer - already had broken bones & all.....I love the first picture of the three of them :) IT is exciting to find something your whole family can do (like....hike...for example!) HA! Miss ya!

Amy said...

WOW! Sounds and looks like a lot of fun! Looking forward to the day when our kids are old enough to do this ... hopefully we won't be too old by then! ;)