Thursday, February 5, 2009

she can READ!


Ok, it's sorta a long story. For the last several months, Abby's been telling me how much she wants to learn how to read. So I started (in my free time, ha ha) working with her on Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. We really only got through about 15 lessons and then one Friday, she was sitting at the table with us as I was giving the boys their weekly spelling tests. She wanted a spelling test too, so I gave her words that I was pretty confident she knew, like Mom, Dad, Abby, cat, dog, etc. She aced it, but I wasn't shocked. Then as our school day progressed, I was cutting out some sight word cards for Matthew from his binder. I flipped to the beginning of the binder and showed the words (on cards) to Abby. She read them all, with no help. They were rhyming words, like rat, sat, mat, cat, bat, fat..... I continued showing her more and more and she continued reading. Matthew showed her some of his current spelling words (bring, big, hand, trap) and she continued reading. By now, both the boys and I were cheering for her with every correct word! It was amazing!! So, apparently she's ready! (totally missed that one!) I dug out some easy readers for her, simple books like "I Can Do It" and "My Week"..... she's doing wonderfully, and is really excited about it too! We're so proud! Way to go, Ab.


5 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

I, too, am very proud of her!! Way to go sweetie! Guess she needs to be home schooled for K :=)

Anonymous said...

Great job Abby! Aidan's been reading the "Bob Books", and really enjoys it. There's also reading he can do on starfall.com, which is interactive and fun. Have you been to this website? Aidan and Alex both really like it.

Prachar family said...

Way to go Abby!! I am trying not to be insanely jealous! I asked God for just one of mine to teach themselves to read...nada! Gotta love the Teach your Child book though, its cute and fun and Alayna looks forward to it!

Unknown said...

that is awesome! one of the perks of homeschooling! you can go when they are ready!

ljk said...

Way to go Abby--Maddi would love for you to come read to her!! :)